- IBM will deliver Digital Experience and Digital Enablement
- Sopra Steria will deliver Customer Contact Centre and Operations
- Atos preferred bidder for delivering Core Banking, Payments and Reporting
A further major milestone has been achieved in NS&I’s transformation programme today, with more strategic procurement packages being awarded. IBM will deliver Digital Experience and Digital Enablement and Sopra Steria will deliver Customer Contact Centre and Operations. Atos is the preferred bidder for a third package to deliver Core Banking, Payments and Reporting.
NS&I’s transformation programme will see it switch from a single outsource provider to a multi-provider model. It will create a modern, accessible and sustainable business that can deliver the right products and services for customers, the flexibility and resilience to embrace the opportunities of the future, and, ultimately, to continue to raise funding to support vital public services.
The programme will also allow NS&I to provide more choice and flexibility for its customers, along with more support for those who need it.
Matthew Smith, NS&I Chief Operating Officer, said:
“We’ve played a role in our savers’ lives for over 160 years and in that time we’ve evolved as customer expectations have changed and the industry has modernised. So I am delighted that after a competitive process, the awarding of these packages is another important milestone in our journey to becoming the UK’s most trusted savings provider.
“Our transformation programme will significantly improve customers’ experience of NS&I providing more flexibility and choice while also improving our efficiency.”
IBM will be delivering Digital Experience and Digital Enablement for NS&I. This contract will deliver, integrate, host, and manage a multi-channel digital customer experience platform and support services, with appropriate operational support.
The contract started on 1 December 2023 and will run through to August 2028.
Rahul Kalia, Managing Partner, IBM Consulting, UK & Ireland, said:
“We are thrilled to be broadening our partnership with NS&I, where we will be at the forefront of enhancing the customer experience.
“This collaboration marks a significant step forward in helping to develop NS&I’s operational efficiency while delivering a seamless multi-channel digital service for customers.”
Sopra Steria will be delivering Customer Contact Centre and Operations for NS&I. This contract will deliver and integrate front-office (contact centre) services to support digital transactions, requests, queries and complaints, through webchat, messaging and telephony. Sopra Steria will also deliver back-office services to manage and process non-digital customer interactions through telephony and post, and support vulnerable and digitally excluded customers.
The contract started on 3 November 2023 and will run through to March 2029.
John Neilson, CEO Sopra Steria UK, said:
“These contract wins solidify our position in the financial services market in the UK and reflect our significant investment in the sector. We’re ideally placed to create an exceptional customer experience for NS&I’s savers, having delivered many similar contracts, at scale, in both the private and public sectors.
“Our skilled and experienced teams have worked hard to create a solution that ensures inclusivity and accessibility for all NS&I’s customers. We’re looking forward to delivering the transformational change NS&I needs.”
Core Banking, Payments and Reporting
Atos is the preferred bidder for the contract to deliver core banking services, payments and reporting for NS&I. Confirmation of the awarding of this contract will be announced in due course.
NS&I’s core services are currently provided by Atos IT Services UK Limited, which manages sales processing and customer servicing, together with IT and infrastructure services. The Atos contract was due to expire in 2024. In January 2023, NS&I exercised an option for Atos to provide operational continuity through to March 2025, ensuring that the transition to the multi-supplier model can be completed without disruption to customers.
Notes to Editors
- NS&I launched its transformation programme on 20 April 2021 with a market engagement event. The event provided potential suppliers with a greater understanding of NS&I and its ambitions for the future of the business and introduced the objectives and timelines of the procurement exercises.
- Digital Integration and Service Operations was awarded to IBM in March 2022 and B2B Services was awarded to Sopra Steria in June 2023.
- NS&I outsourced its back office operations to Siemens IT Solutions and Services, now Atos, in 1999 under a competitively tendered public private partnership.
- The current contract with Atos, which started in 2014, saved the taxpayer over £550 million up to 2021. The contract has delivered significant benefits to NS&I’s customers, including enhanced services on the transactional website, the introduction of the lower £25 minimum investment for Premium Bonds, allowing family and friends to buy Premium Bonds for children, NS&I’s Junior ISA and the introduction of a smartphone app. In 2019, the contract with Atos was extended for a further three years, from 2021 until 2024. In January 2023, NS&I exercised an option for Atos to provide operational continuity through to March 2025, ensuring that the transition to the multi-supplier model can be completed without disruption to customers
- NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, offering a range of savings and investments to more than 24 million customers. All products offer 100% capital security, because NS&I is backed by HM Treasury.
- For more information about IBM, visit www.ibm.com/consulting .
- For more information about Sopra Steria, visit www.soprasteria.co.uk .
- For more information about Atos, visit www.atos.net .