NS&I Information Charter
National Savings and Investments (NS&I) is both a government department and an Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
We are committed to keeping all the information we hold about you secure, private and confidential. We ask for this information to meet our legal obligations and to provide you with our accounts or services.
Here we summarise the principles of how we collect and use your information.
- Our standards
- How we process your personal information
- How to ask for your personal information
- Further information and contact details
- Independent advice on data protection and privacy
- Changes to this charter
The processing of personal data is governed by data protection legislation (the UK General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Protection Act 2018 and The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003), under which NS&I is regarded as a data controller.
Personal information is data that relates to an identifiable living individual.
2. Our standards
When we ask you for personal information, we promise:
- to only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information;
- to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t;
- to let you know if we share it with other organisations – and if you can refuse;
- to never sell your personal information to another organisation;
- to update our records when you inform us that your details have changed;
- to train our staff on their privacy of information obligations;
- to continue to review and assess the quality of our data;
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary;
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information;
- tell us as soon as possible if your personal information has changed, such as a new address or change of name.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
3. How we process your personal information
Our privacy notice outlines the way we process your personal information and lists the lawful purposes for us doing so. It also explains, in more detail, some of the products and services with specific processing requirements (for example Premium Bonds and WebChat). It also sets out your data subject rights and how to exercise them.
4. How to ask for your personal information
If you have concerns about the way that NS&I handles your personal information, you have a right of access to the information that NS&I holds about you (although this is subject to some exemptions). You can make a subject access request by using this form.
5. Further information and contact details
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics;
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information;
- how we check the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date;
- how to make a complaint
NS&I also comply with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Find out more about Freedom of Information at NS&I.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com
or write to us at:
You can contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Data Protection Officer
Great Smith Street
6. Independent advice on data protection and privacy
You can find out more about data protection and the rights you have by contacting the Information Commissioner’s Office:
0303 123 1113
7. Changes to this charter
If our information charter changes, we will update this page. Check this page and our privacy notice to make sure you are aware of what information we collect, how we use it and what your rights are.