A man from Hereford and Worcester, and a woman from Essex are celebrating the first official day of Summer as they have scooped the £1 million jackpot prizes in June’s Premium Bonds draw.
June is a lucky month for Premium Bonds holders in Hereford and Worcester. Besides a man from the region hitting the jackpot this month, the last win from the area was exactly six years ago (June 2012). Before that, there was also a Premium Bonds millionaire made in Worcestershire a decade ago (June 2008). This is the second winner from Hereford and Worcester, while there have also been two previous winners from Worcestershire.
The winning holder currently has £27,500 invested in Premium Bonds and purchased the winning Bond in September 2009. The winning Bond number was 159QP769919.
The woman from Essex has £50,000 invested in Premium Bonds and bought the winning Bond in January 2014. The winning Bond number was 217JE297574. Essex is now home to 14 jackpot winners, with October 2017 being the last time the jackpot was won in the region.
The pair are the 387th and 388th lucky recipients of the jackpot Premium Bonds prize.
Jill Waters, NS&I’s Retail Director, said:
“This month marks 61 years since ERNIE first generated random numbers for the Premium Bonds prize draw.
“Since that time, we have paid out 404 million prizes worth £18.4 billion and for some, the prizes won may have helped achieve a life dream or go some way to assist saving for their financial future. For the two winners in Hereford and Worcester and Essex, we hope this windfall will bring them happiness for many years to come.”
Are you the woman in Hereford and Worcester due a £100,000 prize?
There are 1.4 million Premium Bonds prizes that remain unclaimed worth more than £58.9 million, and in particular there is one prize in Hereford and Worcester worth £100,000. This prize was drawn in August 2014’s draw and belongs to a woman in the region with just £14 invested in Premium Bonds. The winning Bond number is 5FZ109702.
Customers can check if they think this might be them, or if they have been successful in this month’s draw, by simply entering their Premium Bond holder’s number in the Premium Bonds prize checker at nsandi.com or by downloading the prize checker app for free from the App Store or Google Play. The full prize draw results will be published on Saturday 2 June.
Or customers can write to NS&I, quoting their name and address, any former names and addresses, date of birth and their Premium Bonds holder’s number (if known) and we will search to see if they are the lucky recipient of this high value prize.
Premium Bonds prizes may go unclaimed as a result of not informing NS&I of changes to customers’ personal circumstances, such as a change in contact or address details or if Premium Bonds were bought as a child and the customer has subsequently lost track of them, so it’s important to keep NS&I up to date of any changes.
Customers can opt to have their prizes paid directly into their bank account, or to have their prizes auto-reinvested to be eligible for the next Premium Bonds draw, as long as the total holding is below the maximum threshold of £50,000. More information about these options are available on the NS&I website.
In Hereford and Worcester, there are over 14,000 unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes worth more than £645,000. The oldest dates back to 1965 and the highest unclaimed prize is £100,000. There are also 16 unclaimed prizes worth £1,000, won as far back as May 1977.
In Essex, there are more than 39,000 unclaimed prizes worth over £1.5 million, the highest of these includes one worth £25,000, two worth £10,000 and another three worth £5,000. There are also a further 26 prizes worth £1,000 in the county. The oldest unclaimed Premium Bonds prize in Essex dates back to February 1964 and is worth £25. There is no time limit for claiming prizes and each unclaimed prize is held until the rightful winner can be tracked down.
June 2018 prize draw breakdown
|Value of prize||Number of prizes|
Total prize fund value
Total number of prizes
In the June 2018 draw, a total of 3,063,406 prizes worth £87,562,300 will be paid out. There were 75,053,395,931 eligible Bonds for the draw.
Since the first draw in June 1957, ERNIE has drawn more than 404 million winning prizes, to the value of around £18.4
Notes to Editors
- NS&I has a wealth of facts and figures (including regional) about Premium Bonds. If you require any further details, please contact the NS&I media team or tweet your question to @nsandi
- You can read more about Premium Bonds prize winners at nsandi.com/winning-stories
- All Premium Bonds prizes are free of UK Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax.
- NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, offering a range of savings and investments to 25 million customers. All products offer 100% capital security, because NS&I is backed by HM Treasury.
- The annual Premium Bonds prize fund rate is currently 1.40% and the odds of each individual Bond number winning any prize are 24,500 to 1.
- Pictures of Premium Bonds, including the Premium Bonds app and ERNIE are available in high-resolution jpeg format from the NS&I media team.
- Customers can buy Premium Bonds online at nsandi.com and over the phone by calling 08085 007 007. This is a freephone number and calls to it from the UK are free from both landlines and mobiles. Calls may be recorded. Customers can also buy by post. Existing customers can also buy by bank transfer and standing order and each investment must be at least £50 for bank transfers and standing orders.
- When reporting total unclaimed assets held by NS&I (including accounts, Certificates, Bonds, unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes and other products), NS&I defines unclaimed holdings as those with no customer contact for a period of 15 years or more.
- Further information on NS&I, including press releases and product information, is available on the website at nsandi.com. Follow us on Twitter: @nsandi or join the conversation on Facebook: Premium Bonds made by ERNIE