NS&I has today announced plans to transform its business and has published a Prior Information Notice (PIN) to notify the market that a series of procurement exercises for NS&I’s operational services are planned to start in summer 2021.
NS&I’s new Rainbow programme will transform the business and transition NS&I to a multi-supplier operating model, with all procurement to be completed by 2024.
NS&I’s core services are currently provided by Atos IT Services UK Limited, which manages sales processing and customer servicing, together with IT and infrastructure services. This contract will expire on 31 March 2024 and it is a legal requirement that NS&I undertake the procurement process to replace the existing contract ahead of this date.
The Rainbow programme will ensure that NS&I continues to operate safely and can respond in a nimble, proactive way to changes in policy or the market and to deliver the scale of business that it may be required to support in the coming years. The programme will also enable NS&I to continue to deliver its Inspire & Invest strategy and fulfil its vision of becoming a self-service digital business with support for the vulnerable and excluded.
NS&I will be holding a market engagement event on 20 April 2021. This initial event will be delivered virtually and aims to provide potential suppliers with a greater understanding of NS&I and its ambitions for the future of the business. It will introduce the objectives and timelines of the procurement exercises and there will also be an opportunity for potential suppliers to engage and ask questions.
Ian Ackerley, NS&I Chief Executive, said:
“NS&I plays a key role for the government and is a major player in the UK savings market. The Rainbow programme will see us invest in our infrastructure to enable us to provide increased value for taxpayers and better service for our customers. We are very proud of what we have been able to achieve with our current operational partner, Atos, since we began working together in 2011, and we look forward to at least three more years of working in partnership to serve our millions of retail customers and our partners across government.”
Matthew Smith, NS&I Chief Operating Officer and Rainbow Programme Senior Responsible Officer, said:
“This notice to suppliers marks the start of a series of procurement exercises to deliver transformational activities for NS&I. Our new commercial operating model is a significant change for the business, allowing us to work directly with best in class suppliers across a number of services. We expect a good level of market interest for the new contracts, which will ensure we continue to deliver value for money for taxpayers and high standards of service for our customers. I look forward to our market engagement event in April and welcome any interested suppliers to get in touch to find out more.”
Notes to Editors
- The PIN is an indication of potential future procurement activity; it is subject to change and makes no commitment to procure any goods or services whatsoever. The PIN is not part of any pre-qualification or selection process.
- The procurement process will be conducted in accordance with the Public Procurement Regulations and it is expected to complete by summer 2023 in time to allow the transition to the new services.
- NS&I outsourced its back office operations to Siemens IT Solutions and Services, now Atos, in 1999 under a competitively tendered public private partnership.
- The current contract with Atos, which started in 2014, will save the taxpayer over £400 million up to 2021. The contract has delivered significant benefits to NS&I’s customers, including enhanced services on the transactional website, the introduction of the lower £25 minimum investment for Premium Bonds, allowing family and friends to buy Premium Bonds for children, NS&I’s Junior ISA and the introduction of a smartphone app. In 2019, the contract with Atos was extended for a further three years, from 2021 until 2024.
- NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, offering a range of savings and investments to 25 million customers. All products offer 100% capital security, because NS&I is backed by HM Treasury.
- For further information about NS&I’s Rainbow market engagement event in April please visit rainbow.nsandi.com or email: email@example.com
- For further information, please contact the NS&I media team.