Applications for this role close on: 14th June 2021 – Extended to 23rd June 2021, 5pm
Interview date: 8th & 9th July 2021
23 Month Fixed Term Contract
Planned move to Lytham in summer 2021)
Please note: During the current Covid pandemic the successful applicant will initially be based working from home.
NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK with 25 million customers and more than £179 billion invested. We are both a government department and an Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Our origins can be traced back over 150 years to 1861.
This is a very exciting time to join NS&I as we undertake a transformation journey. This role is based with NS&I’s Service Design and Strategy Validation (D&V) team and will work exclusively on the programme which is developing NS&I’s 2024 outsourced and internal capability model. The Service Design Manager is pivotal in establishing Service Design as a capability within NS&I.
The Service Design Manager is responsible for building on high-level work undertaken to define the future model for customer-facing services and experiences. The role would suit someone who is a multi-disciplinary self-starter who can understand the link between NS&I’s customer strategy, brand proposition and target operating model in order to translate concepts into the features and services which will realise the organisation’s objectives.
The role will:
- Clearly define customer and business outcomes and how they are measured
- Define how experiences and interactions flow and which services and actors underpin those journeys
- Codify the underlying flows of information and process across multiple service providers
- Work with UX design, digital design, customer experience strategy and proposition design to create and visualise a detailed understanding of our future customer offer
- Contribute to the development of a new Service Design capability
This role is subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standard and financial credit checks.
- Partner with the Senior Customer Experience Manager to iterate and further develop NS&I’s customer strategy with clarity on customer needs, market focus, customer segments and channels.
- Partner with the New Product Design Manager to iterate and further develop NS&I’s customer propositions with clarity on the customer need, NS&I’s offer, the features of this offer, the channels, target service levels, measurement etc.
- Work closely with the Web Product Owner to develop detailed assets that support our web transformation strategy
- Analysing failure within existing services, identifying root causes for that failure and creating services and propositions that address those issues
- Lead the development of end-to-end journey maps and service blueprints
- Outline capability gaps in the future organisational model which fall out from service blueprint analysis, highlighting implications, trade-offs and supplier role/responsibility considerations.
- Actively support the translation of these into:
- Aspects of governance, processes, systems
- Requirements and evaluation criteria for suppliers (as required)
- Contribute specialist experience to the development of a Service Design capability
A small company with a big reach we offer a range of benefits to include flexible working, great opportunities for development and a generous pension scheme. We care for colleagues, respect one another, invest in our people and manage talent effectively.
We will use the following criteria to shortlist applications: -
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills including demonstrable experience in engaging with Senior level stakeholders on complex subjects and proven track record of gaining buy in
- Experience designing services that meet user needs delivered in an outsourced model
- Experience of translating strategy into design that ensures user needs and business requirements are met
- Experience leading the analysis and synthesis of outputs from workshops and other research/design activity, for instance, user journeys and service flows
- Deep knowledge of service design techniques: service maps/blueprints, customer journey mapping, UX and CX etc.
- Demonstrable strategic thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to influence others to drive change
In the event of a large number of applications we will perform an initial primary sift against the following key criterion only:
- Significant broad discipline experience in a Service Design or UX role
If shortlisted you will be invited to attend a panel interview which will include a 10 minute presentation. The presentation scenario will be confirmed in the interview invite.
In the interview we will ask questions that will assess you against the following behaviours in the Civil Service Success Profiles Framework - Level 4:
- Making effective decisions
- Changing and improving
- Communicating and Influencing
And the following essential experience/technical knowledge and skills:
- Superb collaboration skills across multidisciplinary teams i.e. finance, compliance, IT, product, channel
- Ability to rapidly develop high-level service prototypes and wire-frames that can be clearly linked to the delivery of strategic aims
- Solid technical understanding of APIs and apps to understand and make decisions involving digital technology. Whilst this is not a technical role, the ability to understand and make decisions involving digital technology is essential.
Interviews will take place on 8th & 9th July 2021.
Please send your completed application (In MS Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
When applying, please specify your preferred location.
Please note we are unable to accept CVs.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
- UK nationals
- Nationals of Commonwealth countries
- Nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- EEA nationals with (or eligible for) status under the EUSS
- Relevant EEA or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- Relevant EEA or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- Certain family members of the relevant EU & Turkish nationals
Further information about the Civil Service Nationality Rules can be found in the CSNR guidance.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
If appointed you must be able to work in one of our office locations London, Durham, Blackpool or Glasgow. Employees are currently working remotely from home. This situation is subject to change.
Any move to NS&I from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with these principles and you wish to make a complaint, please contact us at email@example.com