Applications for this role close on: 19th September 2019
Interview date: 2nd October 2019
Fixed Term Contract to 31st March 2020
NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK with 25 million customers and £147 billion invested. We are both a government department and an Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Our origins can be traced back over 150 years to 1861.
We are looking for a skilled communicator to lead NS&I’s consumer media relations activity, and develop stories and campaigns to promote our products and services for customers. You should be experienced at working with the media at all levels, possess a good contacts book, and be skilled at adapting communications for different audiences across traditional and social media - promoting our activities and defending the NS&I brand.
Develop and implement media relations activity, contribute to the annual media and PR plan. Develop opportunities for positive coverage of NS&I’s retail savings products. Manage crisis issues when they emerge.
This role is subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standard and financial credit checks.
Responsibilities and skills/knowledge/experience required
- Lead PR activity to promote and defend the NS&I brand and its savings products – including developing and implementing activity aligned with NS&I’s strategy and objectives (including research based media relations), managing and communicating contentious issues such as rate changes, product range changes, etc.
- Working with the Head of Communications lead NS&I’s proactive and reactive response to crisis issues affecting NS&I’s retail savings customers. Produce LTT, media releases/statements as required.
- When issues arise, as agreed with Head of Communications, liaise with colleagues across NS&I/partners to enable the drafting of LTT/statement and ensure relevant partner press offices are briefed. Act as out-of-hours on call contact for press office.
- Lead on managing customer complaint cases as and when they are raised by the media. Work with the customer relations team to resolve these as appropriate.
A small company with a big reach we offer a range of benefits to include flexible working, great opportunities for development and a generous pension scheme. We care for colleagues, respect one another, invest in our people and manage talent effectively.
We will assess you against the following behaviours:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
We will use the following criteria to shortlist:
- Experience of developing, managing and implementing media relations campaigns, including research based campaigns
- Experience of crisis and issues management
- Understanding of how to build relationships with both media and stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of social media and the ways this can be used reactively and proactively for media and PR activity.
- An ability to quickly absorb information, understand and respond to complex issues with sensitivity and discretion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to master technical, financial and business information and communicate it effectively in a compliant way
In the event of a large number of applications we will sift against the following additional criteria
The selection process will involve an interview and presentation
Interviews will take place on 2nd October 2019
Please send your completed application (In MS Word format) to email@example.com before the closing date.
Please note we are unable to accept CVs.