October’s Premium Bonds prizes
This month’s jackpot winners are in Cambridgeshire and Derbyshire.
October’s Premium Bonds millionaires
|A female living in Cambridgeshire
Bond number: 70QM718428
Winning Bond bought in April 2005
Total holdings: £29,995
|A male living in Derbyshire
Bond number: 232XW865135
Winning Bond bought in October 2014
Total holdings: £39,625
For the October 2015 draw, ERNIE paid out over 2.2 million prizes of more than £64 million in value. There were 57,246,978,536 eligible Bond numbers in the draw.
This brings the grand total of prizes since the first draw in June 1957, to 327 million and the value of those prizes to £16.1 billion.
Prize and value breakdown in October 2015
|Value of prize||Number of prizes|
|Total prize fund value
|Total number of prizes
October’s prize fund rate and odds
The annual Premium Bonds prize fund rate is currently 1.35% and the odds of each individual Bond number winning a prize are 26,000 to 1. The chances of all bonds winning are the same, regardless of when or where they were bought.
- The Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment, or ERNIE, generates numbers completely at random for the prize draw and it is impossible for anyone to predict ERNIE’s numbers or to influence the results of the draw
- The first ERNIE was invented by one of the original Bletchley Park code breakers
- ERNIE is now in his fourth generation
Keeping track of Premium Bonds
- The NS&I Premium Bonds prize checker app is free to download, quick and easy to use and lets customers check if they’ve won a prize in the past six months
- Customers can also check if they have won by using the Premium Bonds prize checker on nsandi.com
Unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes
- In total there are over 1.1 million unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes worth more than £50 million
- Premium Bonds holders can reduce the chances of their prizes becoming unclaimed by registering to have any prizes paid directly into their bank accounts (with notification by email): http://www.nsandi.com/register
- There is no time limit for claiming prizes
Notes to Editors
- All Premium Bonds prizes are free of UK Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax
- This month’s jackpot winners become ERNIE’S 323rd and 324th Premium Bonds millionaires.
- Unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes are defined as prizes over 18 months that have not been paid out (cashed). Addresses held for customers with unclaimed prizes might not be the current residential address of the customer
- Pictures of ERNIE (including the new ERNIE 4 machine), NS&I’s Agent Millions and people buying Premium Bonds are available in high-resolution jpeg format from the NS&I media team
- Customers can buy Premium Bonds over the phone by calling 0500 500 000. This is a free phone number but calls from mobiles and some landline providers may be chargeable. Telephone calls may be recorded
- Further information on NS&I (National Savings and Investments), including press releases and product information, is available on the website at nsandi.com. Follow us on Twitter: @nsandi