NS&I’s Agent Million reveals May’s £1 million Premium Bond winner
Agent Million discusses their unique job on NS&I’s new YouTube channel
This month, NS&I’s Agent Million, who is responsible for personally delivering the good news each month to the Premium Bonds jackpot winner, distributed the 280th £1 million prize to a man from Cumbria with £30,000 invested.
The interviews with Agent Million are the first of many videos to feature on NS&I’s new YouTube channel, giving the opportunity for customers to find out more about NS&I’s heritage, its Quarterly Savings Survey, how to manage money online and tips on how to manage your money more effectively.
NS&I’s YouTube channel can be found at youtube.com/nsandi
The Premium Bond prize draw details for May 2013
For the May 2013 draw ERNIE paid out over 1.8 million prizes, together amounting to over £56 million in value. There were 45,164,598,969 eligible Bond numbers in the draw.
|Value of prizes||Number of prizes|
|Total prize fund value||Total number of prizes|
Since the first Premium Bonds prize draw in 1957, more than 271 million tax–free prizes worth approximately £14.5 billion have been paid out.
Premium Bonds were officially launched in the 1956 budget by Chancellor of the Exchequer, Harold Macmillan. The first Premium Bond was bought on 1 November 1956 by Alderman Sir Cuthbert Ackroyd who later became Lord Mayor of London. The investment immediately caught the imagination of the British public, so much so that by the end of their first day on sale, £5 million worth of Premium Bonds had been sold. As of April 2013, over 22 million people hold more than £44 billion worth of Premium Bonds. Prizes range from £25 to £1 million.
Savers can invest in Premium Bonds by cheque and debit card at the Post Office or directly from NS&I by post, phone (see note 5), online at nsandi.com or standing order. Premium Bond holders can also sign-up to manage their Premium Bonds online and opt to have any prizes paid directly into their bank account by BACS, with notification by email.
Premium Bonds offer investors 100% capital security, backed by HM Treasury, as well as the sense of fun that comes from potentially winning tax-free prizes.
Notes to Editors
- All Premium Bonds prizes are free of UK Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax.
- The jackpot winner becomes ERNIE’S 280th Premium Bond millionaire.
- NS&I’s YouTube channel can be found at youtube.com/nsandi.
- Free phone number – calls from mobiles and some landline providers may be chargeable. Telephone calls may be recorded.
- Pictures of ERNIE (including the new ERNIE 4 machine), Agent Million and people buying Premium Bonds are available in high-resolution jpeg format from the NS&I media team.
- Further information on NS&I (National Savings and Investments), including press releases and product information, is available on the website at nsandi.com. Follow us on Twitter: @NSIpressoffice.
- NS&I has a number of spokespeople available for interviews and our experienced media team is available via our ISDN line: 020 7828 5288.
020 7932 6644
020 7932 6789
020 7932 6633
020 7932 6611
020 7932 6727
ISDN for interviews: 020 7828 5288
Out of hours : All numbers above diverted to staff mobile phones.
Follow us on Twitter: @NSIpressoffice