NS&I announces new independent Non-executive Director
The Financial Secretary to HM Treasury has appointed Cheryl Millington as an independent Non-executive Director on the board of NS&I with effect from 1 July 2014. She replaces Simon Ricketts who will have served two three-year terms and an additional one year extension as an independent Non-executive Director at NS&I.
Cheryl Millington has held a number of high profile roles across the retail and financial services sectors. She is currently Director of IT and member of the Waitrose Board and was previously Chief Information Officer at Asda. She has also held the post of Director of Group Programmes at HBOS and before that, was Managing Director of the HBOS retail branch network and its Head of Retail Savings.
Independent Non-executive members of NS&I’s Board ensure a sound strategy is in place to meet the organisation’s remit. They also act as an external source of advice, maintaining risk control and ensuring NS&I’s links with its outsourcing partner remain open and transparent.
Financial Secretary to the Treasury and Minister for Women, Nicky Morgan, said; “I am pleased to announce that Cheryl Millington has been appointed to the NS&I board. There are now more women sitting on boards than ever before, but we need all businesses and employers to play their part in driving forward this cultural change.
“Cheryl will provide expertise on helping NS&I deliver their core services, including the new savings bonds for people aged 65 or over announced at Budget.”
Jane Platt, NS&I’s Chief Executive, said: “I am delighted to welcome Cheryl Millington to the board of NS&I. Cheryl is an outstanding appointment who brings with her an in-depth understanding of how resilient IT systems support a first class customer experience for our retail customers, and for clients of NS&I Government Payment Services.
“She joins NS&I at an exciting time with the beginning of our new operational services contract and the delivery of more customer service improvements planned for the coming years.
“I would also like to thank Simon Ricketts for his hard work and commitment over the past seven years. Simon has played a vital role in helping to support the modernisation of NS&I’s infrastructure which has transformed the online services we offer to our customers.”
Notes to editors
- The appointment was made by Sajid Javid MP when he was Financial Secretary to the Treasury. On 9 April 2014, he was appointed as Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and Minister for Equalities at the Department for Culture, Media & Sport. Nicky Morgan MP is now the Financial Secretary to the Treasury.
- The current NS&I Board members are:
- Sir John de Trafford Bt. MBE – Independent Non-executive Chairman
- Jane Platt CBE – Chief Executive
- Peter Cornish – Director, Risk
- Dax Harkins – Director, B2B
- Julian Hynd – Director, Retail
- Rodney Norman – Director, Finance
- Steve Owen – Director, Partnership
- Sarah Tebbutt – Director, People and Strategy
- James Furse – Independent Non-executive Director
- David Hulf – Independent Non-executive Director
- James Richardson – Independent Non-executive Director
- Simon Ricketts – Independent Non-executive Director
- Chris Sharrock – Independent Non-executive Director
- Photographs of Cheryl Millington and Jane Platt are available on request
- NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, offering a range of savings and investments to over 25 million customers. All products offer 100% capital security because NS&I is backed by HM Treasury