New NS&I Chairman appointed
The Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Simon Kirby MP, has appointed Ed Anderson as the new Chairman of the board of NS&I. Ed took up his new role from 1 January 2017.
Ed originally joined NS&I’s board as a Non-executive Director in February 2016, having been Chairman of the Yorkshire Building Society from 2007 to 2015. He succeeds Sir John de Trafford Bt. MBE as NS&I’s Chairman. Sir John had come to the end of his term as an NS&I Non-executive Director, having spent the last five years as NS&I’s Chairman.
NS&I’s board provide collective strategic and operational leadership and advise on the operational implications and effectiveness of policy proposals, as well as scrutinising performance and challenging Executive Directors on how well NS&I is achieving its objectives.
Steve Owen, Acting Chief Executive, NS&I, said: “I am delighted that Ed Anderson has been appointed as NS&I’s new Chairman. He brings a wealth of experience across retail financial services, commerce and the public and voluntary sector.
“I would also like to pay tribute to Sir John de Trafford. John has been an excellent Chairman with tremendous passion for our people and our customers. He has provided vision and leadership as NS&I has transformed into a 100% direct business, selling products online, by phone and by post.”
Ed Anderson, NS&I Chairman, said: “I’m proud to take on the role of Chairman at NS&I. Since joining as a Non-executive I’ve been hugely impressed by the quality and commitment of NS&I’s people and their focus on delivering for our customers and taxpayers. I look forward to continuing this and also to growing NS&I’s business-to-business services – providing payment processing services to other areas of government.”
Ed was appointed an independent Non-executive Director at NS&I and Chairman of NS&I’s Audit and Risk Committee in February 2016.
Ed was Chairman of the Yorkshire Building Society from 2007 to 2015. He was Managing Director of Leeds Bradford Airport for 10 years and is currently Chairman of the Airport Operators Association (AOA).
He is also a former President, and Chairman, of Leeds Chamber of Commerce and is a director of a number of other public and voluntary sector organisations in Yorkshire, including being a member of the University of Leeds Council and chairing its Audit and Risk Committee. Ed is an economics graduate and a qualified accountant.
The current NS&I board members are:
• Steve Owen – Acting Chief Executive
• Peter Cornish – Director, Risk
• Dax Harkins – Director, B2B
• Mark Keene – Acting Director, Partnership
• Rodney Norman – Director, Finance
• Sarah Tebbutt – Director, People and Strategy
• Jill Waters – Acting Director, Retail
• James Furse – Non-executive Director
• Mario Pisani – HM Treasury representative
A photograph of Ed Anderson is available on request.
Notes to Editors
- NS&I is one of the largest savings organisations in the UK, offering a range of savings and investments to around 25 million customers who have invested some £135 billion. All products offer 100% capital security because NS&I is backed by HM Treasury.
- Ed Anderson’s appointment as Chairman was made in accordance with the Code of Practice published by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
- Ed Anderson’s appointment was made on merit and political activity played no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity (if any declared) to be made public. Ed has confirmed that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- For further information, please contact the NS&I media team.