ERNIE selects mystery winners from Reading and West Sussex for £1 million Premium Bonds jackpot prizes
In the 2014 Budget the Chancellor announced that NS&I would help support savers by increasing the Premium Bonds investment limit from £30,000 to £40,000, and by adding a second £1 million jackpot prize to the draw. Therefore, for the first time since March 2009, this month ERNIE has made two lucky millionaires!
August’s Premium Bonds millionaires
For the August 2014 draw ERNIE paid out over 1.9 million prizes, together amounting to over £55 million in value. There were 49,441,424,043 eligible Bond numbers in the draw.
Prize and value breakdown in August 2014
|Value of prize||Number of prizes|
|Total prize fund value
|Total number of prizes
August’s prize fund rate and odds
The annual Premium Bonds prize fund rate is currently 1.35% and the odds of each individual Bond number winning a prize are 26,000 to 1.
Keeping track of Premium Bonds
- The NS&I Premium Bonds prize checker app is free to download, quick and easy to use and lets customers check if they’ve won a prize in the past six months
- Customers can also check if they have won by using the Premium Bonds prize checker on nsandi.com.
Unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes
- Across the UK there are over 1 million unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes worth more than £47 million
- Premium Bonds holders can reduce the chances of their prizes becoming unclaimed by registering to have any prizes paid directly into their bank accounts (with notification by email): http://www.nsandi.com/register
- There is no time limit for claiming prizes.
Notes to Editors
- All Premium Bonds prizes are free of UK Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax
- This month’s jackpot winners become ERNIE’S 295th and 296th Premium Bonds millionaires
- Unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes are defined as prizes over 18 months that have not been paid out (cashed). Addresses held for customers with unclaimed prizes might not be the current residential address of the customer
- Pictures of ERNIE (including the new ERNIE 4 machine), NS&I’s Agent Millions and people buying Premium Bonds are available in high-resolution jpeg format from the NS&I media team
- Customers can buy Premium Bonds over the phone by calling 0500 500 000. This is a free phone number but calls from mobiles and some landline providers may be chargeable. Telephone calls may be recorded